Roasted Butternut Squash Bisque
A creamy warm bisque of roasted butternut squash and coconut cream garnished with a swirl of cashew cream and spicy chipotle toasted pecans. Great for a vegan, jain, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free meal. Nuts are optional as garnishment.
Servings: 2 - 4
Prep Time: 45 - 60 mins
1 med butternut squash (about 2 Cups diced)
1 can coconut cream (5.4 oz)
live oil for coating - salt to taste
water as necessary
For Cashew Cream:
1/4 cup cashews (soaked for three hours)
salt to taste
water as needed
For Toasted Pecans:
3 pecan halves per person
1 tsp chipotle chili powder (or any smoky pepper)
Preparing the bisque
1. Dice butternut squash into small even cubes.
2. Toss cubes in salt and olive oil till lightly coated.
3. Roast the diced butternut squash in a preheated oven at 400F for 15-20 mins until fork tender (till a fork slides through easily) and slight caramelization (a tinge of browning of edges of cube).
4. Blend in a high speed blender with coconut cream.
5. Add water as necessary to thin for blending and get to desired consistency.
6. Heat bisque before serving and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Thin again with water if desired.
Preparing the cashew cream
1. Blend cashews in high speed blender adding water 1 tablespoon at a time as necessary till a thick batter-like consistency is achieved.
Preparing the pecans
1. Toss pecans in salt and chipotle chili powder with a tiny splash of water till evenly coated.
2. Toast in oven at 300F till aromatic (about 5mins).
1. Pour the bisque into bowls or cups while warm.
2. Take half a spoon of cashew cream and swirl it in the soup without fully mixing.
3. Place some toasted pecans and sprinkle some more chipotle chili powder.
See more recipes on blog at veganjain.com, instagram:@veganjain