White Bean and Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus
A lighter alternative to traditional chickpea hummus, this variation requires less soaking time.
Great for a vegan, jain, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free snack.
Preparation time: 15-45 minutes
0.5 cup dried navy (white) beans, soaked for 2 hours, discard soaking water, then simmer in fresh water for approx half hour till tender, or pressure cook for 15 minutes or use unsalted canned beans in a hurry.
3 sundried tomato halves, soaked in minimal water for 10 minutes
3 tablespoons sesame tahini
0.5 teaspoon smoked paprika
0.25 teaspoon ground cumin
3-4 leaves fresh lemon verbena or other fresh herbs
Sea salt to taste
1. Strain beans from cooking water.
2. Blend beans, sundried tomatoes with soaking liquid, tahini, smoked paprika, cumin and sea salt.
3. Add water to thin to desired consistency.
1. Pour into a wide bowl for dipping.
2. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil.
3. Garnish with a dusting of smoked paprika and chopped herbs.
4. Serve with your favorite flat bread and a fresh chopped salad or use in a wrap or sandwich.
Recipe contributor: Rakhee Kumar, see more recipes on blog at veganjain.com, instagram:@veganjain